Over the weekend, I had made my kids poached eggs and then started cleaning up the kitchen. Just as I picked up the pan of boiling water to move it to the sink, my son TJ came running around the corner and collided with me.
Steaming hot water poured over his head, and I immediately knew that he had been burned. Soon the blisters on his scalp appeared, and I realized that for the first time I could remember, I had caused one of my children to be seriously hurt. Obviously with seven children, there have been lots of times my kids have been injured, but this was the first time I felt a deep sense of responsibility that I was part of their pain. Read more.